Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Artists I Know: Rebecca Zemans and Elena Rakochy


Last weekend, I went to two interesting art openings.  On Friday night, my friend Rebecca Zemans had the opening of her new group show, Natural Progressions, at the Lillstreet Art Center in Chicago.  Rebecca and my sister's friend's sister, Elena Rakochy, are artists in residence there, working and teaching in the Lillstreet studios, and Natural Progressions is a show of their latest work and that of three other residents, Camille Canales, Lisa Miceli, and Rachel Davis.  

Rebecca specializes in jewelry and sculpture involving metal, so she was showing both jewelry and metal sculptures.  Elena had these wonderful glazed ceramic monoliths, each pretty tall and beautifully colored.  I cannot figure out why I am having trouble uploading pictures of their work, but Elena has already agreed to be interviewed, and I suspect Rebecca will, too, so let's look forward to really sprawling out and learning more about them in upcoming posts. 

After the reception, we walked over to Becca and writer Ryan Blitstein's apartment for a housewarming party.  

To see fascinating examples of Rebecca Zemans' work in sculpture and jewelry, visit www.rebeccazemans.com.  I have gorgeous pictures of Elena Rakochy's sculptures in hand to illustrate her interview, and you can see Natural Progressions until Thursday, August 28th, at the Lillstreet Art Center, 4401 N Ravenswood, Chicago, Illinois.  I will remind you of this closer to the date, but they have an artist talk and lecture about the show scheduled for Tuesday, August 26th at 7 PM.  

blog comments powered by Disqus